Our goal is to preserve and restore the Seaquist House, a unique 19th century Hill Country landmark, and to reopen it for public tours, events and other activities. We plan to renew the most architecturally significant structure in Mason County for a better tomorrow and to enhance the historic tourism of the community.
In 1887, Rev. Thomas A. Broad began constructing a handsome, two-story sandstone house north of Mason’s courthouse square on Comanche Creek. The house was later purchased in 1891 by Edward M. Reynolds, a banker from New York, who hired the German architect Richard Grosse to remodel and enlarge the house. In 1919, the property was sold to Swedish immigrant Oscar Seaquist, after which the family made several improvements to the house. Oscar Seaquist died in 1933, leaving his widow, Ada, to care for the mansion until her death in 1972.
The Seaquists’ son and daughter-in-law, Garner and Clara Seaquist, began the first major refurbishment of the house in 1972. Work was completed in the summer of 1973 and for the first time the mansion was opened to the public for tours. It received a Texas state historical marker in 1974 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Seaquist House Foundation purchased the house in January of 2015 and continues to restore the property.
May 1, June 5, July 3, Aug 7, Sept 5, Oct 2, Nov 6 and Dec 4
Private tours are also available at $20 per person with a minimum of $100.
Contact Jan Appleby at email@example.com for more information.
Every first Saturday of the month
Adults are $15
Youth 9-12 years are $5
Children 8 years and under are free
Private tours are available – $20/adult with a minimum of $100.
For more information or to schedule, contact:
Jan Appleby, Tour Director
Please stay safe!
Private tours still available. Contact Jan for more information!
Wishing you and yours a very special holiday!!!
From our house to yours — stay safe and have a very Merry Christmas and New Year!